Self Portraits






















Left: Natural Pigments, pastel and acrylic on callico. My body is a map written on with the surgeon's scalpel. Scarred, marked like the clay pans of Minnippi park from which the ochres came.

























Above right: Acrylic on callico. My body works on iron in the form of haemoglobin. It is rusting with age. I have left marks on the land; the land has left marks on me. We are mark makers. Ashes,to ashes; rust to dust, like the burnt land of Minnippi park after a bad bushfire has passed through it.




Right: Self Portrait in Rust, 4. Random rust marks reflect the traces and marks of weathering on metal.










Left: Acrylic on callico. Portrait in rust, 3. Rust can be red, orange or pink. So human, so Australian...so me.












I have found it very difficult to position comments to any specific image on this blog page; just like life, I suppose. However, it was just as difficult to differentiate comments for each of these images, combination of acrylic base, natural pigments, pastels and acrylic paints on callico as they all are and all being inspired by the concept of natural rusting of iron and iron based materials, us included;, the weathering of time on metal and on my body.




The paintings are life size, if not larger. Big, like me. ...and so I could go on.





















































Keep Scrolling down to find other blogs I have written or more art work that I have added




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thomas Hastings/Faithful Ebzery/Andrew Farrelly, Basis of my book, The Irish Constable.

The Elusive Catherine/Kate/Kathleen Degnan/Dagnall/Degnann/Degnall

Irish Lumpers