The Artist in the Bungle Bungles


I did this series in the mid 90's shortly after a trip to the Bungle Bungles. This first print is a "monprint', whereby one draws directly onto the plate and then the plate is run through a printing press. the north face of the Bungle Bungle differs from the south where the "beehive" formations amaze with their various stripes of orange, brown and white. In the northen part, it is the orange and the contrast of the white palm treeon the orange soil that amazes. they are remnants of an age long, long past when the rainforest met the desert.

A monprint is the name given to a print whereby the printmaker has drawn directly onto the plate and then passed the plate through a printing presss.





Bungle Bungles aerial view (on right) is a multi plate etching using various etching techniques to reproduce my feelings about seeing the Bungle Bungles from the air.


I hadn't realized just how one could interpret the monoprint on the left. ...unitl I saw it on the wall. Then I was a little embarrassed!
I was most impressed on seeing tbe Bower of a bower bird in one of the Bungle Bungles canyons on the Northern face. However, there appeared in my print, a Bower of another sort. This print and that of the Bungle Bungles collograph may be seen in the waiting room of the Wesley cancer offices. Such a thrill to see one's work dispayed in a public place. Who did that? I say to myself. Sometimes positively (in this case); sometimes not.





Collographs of the Bungle Bungles, southern face; same plate, inked up differently.







The blue/green of the salt bush contrasts so wonderfully with the orange of the soils and the hills.

















Orange, needless to say, is my favourite colour. I just love the Pilbara where orange rules. A friend of mine said when I talked once of the orange of the Kimberleys, "Don't you mean ochre?" "No, I do not mean ochre", I replied especially when the sun shines through the canyons and the world vibrates with heat...and pure orange. It echoes through one's soul.

A collograph, by the way, is when one sticks various textures on to a plate, inks up, in this case in various colours, and then prints. Inking up the plate differently gives different efects. Overprinting can do the same thing.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thomas Hastings/Faithful Ebzery/Andrew Farrelly, Basis of my book, The Irish Constable.

The Elusive Catherine/Kate/Kathleen Degnan/Dagnall/Degnann/Degnall

Irish Lumpers